Rukumoana (The Top Pā) marae is located just north of the junction between Tahuroa Road and Morrinsville-Walton Road, 6 km south of Morrinsville itself. Its principal hapū is Ngāti Haua and the wharenui is named Werewere. The marae was built between.
Ngati Haua’s great nineteenth century leader Wiremu Tamihana was nicknamed ‘the Kingmaker’ because of the way he helped convince the many peoples of Tainui to support the establishment of the Waikato Kingdom in the middle of the nineteenth century.
Our Wiremu Tamihana NZer of the Year - Tamahere Forum, 13th Nov, 2013 Author Evelyn Stokes, who wrote a biography of the man entitled Wiremu Tamihana, Rangatira, wrote that“his vision is still valid: that of a Maori society in control of its own...
Te Iti a Hauā marae (also known as Tauwhare) is located 15 km to the east of Hamilton in Matangi. The primary hapū for this marae are Ngāti Haua, Ngāti Paretekawa and Ngāti Ngutu of the Waikato-Tainui tribal collective. The whare tipuna is named.
Kai a te Mata marae is located close to the intersection of Morrinsville-Walton Road and Kereone Road, just 2 km southeast of Morrinsville town centre. The principal hapū that affiliates with this marae is Ngāti Haua and the wharenui is named.
Raungaiti marae is located on State Highway 27 in Tamihana. The principal hapū that affiliates with this marae is Ngāti Haua. The wharenui is named Te Oro. The marae connects ancestrally to the waka collective of Tainui and a kohanga reo sits.
Article from the Waikato Times, 25 february 1886 reporting on a meeting of the Ngāti Hauā iwi.